It’s been over a year since I blogged, but inspired by my neighbor who uses a review by DefinitelyRA, I wanted to do a “2017 in review” post (very original, I know). It’s quick and casual, and if reading posts like these is your kind of thing, enjoy!
What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
My golden birthday! 27 on the 27th?! What?! There were LOTS of emotions going into this birthday as my summer didn’t unfold as I’d hoped it would and I was pretty frustrated because I felt like my golden birthday was squeezed into the margins.
But the day (and weekends before and after) were filled to the BRIM with sweetness. Surprise flowers! Coffee dates! Wine! Cupcakes! Dinner with Mike! Treats! Time with my favorite ladies! Oh my!
What did you do that you’d never done before?
- Started a podcast
- Dyed my hair and tried wearing lipstick
- Took a writing class
- Enjoyed assorted creative endeavors I’ve never had the gumption to do before (watercolor painting, playing the dulcimer and joining a choir)
- Grilled by myself
What are your strongest memories of the year?
- Morning walks and coffee on the porch with my pup.
- Reading Louise Penny’s Inspector Gamache and feeling like I had a friend in Gamache.
- Driving the Antrim coast with Mike
- A whole day hiking in the Lake District
- Studying Joshua, Judges, Esther and Ruth alongside women.
What did you want and get?
Some new clients for work, and I couldn’t be more thrilled with how this shook out. Subscribe to my newsletter to learn more 😉
What did you want and not get?
Assorted house projects (i.e., replacing our blinds, recovering our dining room chairs,etc.)
What would you like to have in the new year that you didn’t in this one?
- I want to recover those chairs.
- Write my e-course
Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions? Will you make more?
I didn’t do New Year’s resolutions. But I’m doing a 18 in 2018 list (coming soon).
What was your biggest achievement?
- Laid down deeper roots in my community
What was your biggest failure?
I didn’t write as much as I wanted to.
What did you rely on when you were overwhelmed?
- Cupious cups of tea
- Quiet mornings
- This line from a Berry poem: “Practice Resurrection.”
- Netflix time with Mike
- Reading, reading, reading
- Hamilton soundtrack
- Saying “no” to social media
What are your strongest recommendations (books, music, etc.)?
- Broadchurch – Season 3
- The People vs. OJ (yes, I know I’m very behind)
- The Crown – Season 2
- The Popcast
- Pass the Mic
- Liturgy of the Ordinary
- Mr. Rochester
- Letters to a Young Poet
- The Three Pines Mysteries
- In the Shelter
- Jane E., Friendless Orphan
- Call the Midwife
What was your most enjoyable purchase?
- Tickets to Scandinavia and the UK, and the UK again (March 2018!)
- Also, I saved my pennies and bought my first pair of (new) Birks.
Did you travel? If so, where?
- Ireland, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, England.
- And of course, Indiana and Michigan.
What do you wish you’d done more of?
- Working on some personal creative projects
What do you wish you’d done less of?
- Worrying about tomorrow.
Compared to last year how are you the same?
- I’ve lots of opinions and a few fierce convictions.
- I’m passionate about living locally with an eye for the world and my sight set on Mt. Zion.
- I have the same fierce love for my community, family and the place I live
Compared to last year, how are you different?
- I’m far more impassioned about injustice for folks on the margins
- I’ve figured out more and more of what I like when it comes to style
- I’m less worried about my weight and appearance… learning to greet my body with dignity, grace and compassion and live in it with kindness and joy and embrace the goodness of it.
What life lesson did you learn this year?
“Ring the bells that still can ring/forget your perfect offering/there’s a crack in everything/that’s how the light gets in.”